Aluminum Sulfate Solution (Alum)
The USALCO® manufacturing process utilizes only the finest available raw materials. USALCO® Aluminum Sulfate is manufactured by dissolving alumina tri-hydrate (ATH) into sulfuric acid and water to produce a superior quality aluminum sulfate.
Aluminum sulfate is one of the most versatile chemicals used in both the municipal and industrial markets. End uses for aluminum sulfate include:
- Potable Water Treatment
- Wastewater treatment (clarification and phosphorus removal)
- Lakes and ponds (removal of excess nutrients, such as phosphates that contribute to algae growth…ultimately, this provides algae control)
- Paper mills (charge neutralization, rosin sizing and pitch control)
- Dye (fixing dyes to fabrics and textiles, without altering the color of the dye)
- Synthetic catalyst production
- Poultry houses as a litter amendment for ammonia control.
Iron free Aluminum Sulfate (Alum) is most widely used in municipal drinking water and wastewater treatment systems. In potable water applications, alum functions as an excellent primary coagulant. Through charge neutralization and flocculation in raw water, alum removes:
- Suspended solids
- Total organic carbon (TOC)
- Biochemical oxygen demand (BOD)
Aluminum Sulfate easily hydrolyzes to form insoluble precipitates which aid in removal of tiny particles that cannot be easily filtered and/or are too small to settle via gravity in a useful period of time.
Download our Water Treatment Plant Diagram to learn more
Transportation & Packaging
USALCO® provides its Aluminum Sulfate Solution (Alum) in bulk truckload quantities for municipalities and industrial users. We use dedicated trucks to ensure quality and have multiple plants to meet your needs. USALCO® can also provide a granular Aluminum Sulfate for those applications where a customer cannot accommodate a bulk delivery of the liquid material.
|Specific Gravity@ 60°F||–||1.33|
|Baume @ 60°F||–||35.77|
|Color||Lbs/Gal||Clear to Amber or Light Green|
|Dry 17% Alum||Wt.%||48.20|
Aluminum Sulfate Solution Specs
USALCO® Aluminum Sulfate (Alum), is a high quality, iron-free, clear solution that meets the specifications of the American Water Works Association Standard B403-16 and complies with the requirements of NSF/ANSI/CAN 60 at a maximum dosage of 150 mg/L.
USALCO® liquid Aluminum Sulfate is ready to use and mixes well in water.