Transportation Safety Director
USALCO, LLC is a major unit within the manufacturing network of a leading provider of aluminum-based component products used in water treatment, pulp and paper manufacturing, the making of catalysts for oil refining, the housing market and other sectors. The right individual will have a “can-do” attitude, the ability to be part of a team while operating independently, and consistently performs to very high standards.
The position requires a motivated, detail-oriented, and results driven team player who:
- Incorporates safety and quality into every decision while performing day-to-day activities
- Develops and delivers short and long term strategies in building a culture of safety within the organization
- Will actively seek out opportunities to continuously improve their role and improve safety performance of the USALCO transportation team
The employee in this position will require:
- Excellent communication and people skills necessary to motivate and instill trust and confidence of others.
- A team player who is at their best when working with others to develop and manage the day-to-day transportation function.
- A creative and entrepreneurial thinker who also values and inspires creative, entrepreneurial thinking in others.
- Personally, and professionally motivated to work constructively with team members at all levels within the company, to execute job responsibilities with a sense of urgency to support plant and business initiatives, as well as consistently strive to increase the safety, the quality, and the productivity of the site.
- Able to work independently or with others on site and at our remote plants to meet organizational goals.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBITIES:
- Provide overall leadership and ownership to continuously improve the EH&S into every aspect of the transportation/logistics function throughout all USALCO.
- Responsible for implementing and monitoring system/activities to maintain regulatory compliance and provide training and professional development for the transportation department and to keep DOT audit ready at all times. Key items:
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations regarding transportation and workplace safety
- Monitor driver qualification files and ensure that driver onboarding processes are being followed and all documentations are recorded in JJ Keller.
- Responsible for overseeing new driver training and documentation.
- Monitor, report, and work with Fleet manager on any issues involving HOS, Speeding, Harsh events, or any other driver safety related issues.
- Monitor and report CSA Basic Scores to address trends and drive performance improvements. Review CSA Roadside inspections and make sure all are filed timely and reviewed for compliance and for repetitive issues.
- Conduct investigation and documentation into any vehicle accident or other safety incidents that occur during the transportation process involving USALCO product. Will be responsible for DOT 5800.1 and CERCLA reporting and will oversee Incident and Claim management with insurance providers.
- Ensure DOT Controlled Substance and Alcohol program and is compliant with regulations.
- Maintain all Hazmat transportation related registrations including PHMSA and FMSCA registrations.
- Develop and maintain a safety training program for drivers and plant employees to ensure compliance to all DOT regulations.
- Conduct audits of Owner/Operators to make sure that they are providing and maintain all DOT relevant items required to be in compliance with DOT regulations.
- Implement and maintain a Transportation MOS to record and document all transportation policies, procedures, recording keeping, and file system structures.
- Provide a comprehensive and accurate monthly report containing safety metrics. Reporting on key areas: CSA score, HOS, DQF files, accidents, transportation incidents, Speeding, and RCMS related transportation related items.
- Develop a Emergency Response plan including Spill Response plan for our fleet drivers.
- Conduct DOT compliance audits to ensure DOT audit ready at all times.
3. Work Cross-functionally will other departments to ensure corporate policies effectively drive compliance with company policies and all laws and regulations.
4. Communicate and enforce facility safety, environmental compliance and DOT regulatory requirements.
5. Will work closely with Fleet Manager to coach and communicate directives and plans with all fleet drivers.
6. Perform other duties as assigned in support of business goals and objectives.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Requires organizational and planning skills to effectively complete assignments.
- Must be dependable, flexible and able to respond on short notice to satisfy requirements of customers.
- Requires good interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to clearly and succinctly communicate with others, both verbally and in written form
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state relating to DOT, FMCSA, and OSHA standards.
- Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years’ experience in EHS with transportation related responsibilities.
- Bulk Tank Delivery with at least 3-5 years in Hazardous Material Transportation
- Root Cause Analysis investigations
- Prior Experience with Electronic logs required
- Experience with continuous improvement tools including Lean, 5S, Six Sigma preferred.
- Intermediate Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word & PowerPoint
- Experience with Aptean/Ross, PaperSave, Great Plains, MP2 and OmniTracs, and Samsara preferred
The Ability to:
- Routinely travel to other USALCO plants
- Be flexible with work hours to meet demands of transportation.
- Travel will be 30 percent per year.
USALCO is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. As a general policy, USALCO does not offer employment visa sponsorships upon hire or in the future.
To apply for this job email your details to Recruiting@usalco.com